The holiday’s should be a joyous time with family and friends gathered around the dinning table or reunions where we can reconnect with our loved ones. It usually is for some but with all great events comes planning and can get us overwhelmed. Since I’ve been doing more personal work on myself I have been more in tune with my emotions and anxieties do rise as malls and stores get packed and traffic gets intense. This is something we are covering over in some of my groups as well as within my own personal practices and I wanted to share a couple of tips with you.
- Take a moment to breath. Sounds simple enough but can easily be forgotten. Whenever you feel your mind racing without any productivity flowing you will do yourself a huge favor by stopping what you’re doing and taking a few deep inhales. Inhale to the count of 4, hold for 4, exhale for 4 or whatever count you feel comfortable with.
- Prioritize what needs to be done that day. We may want to get a lot done or “ahead” before the holidays but prioritizing the important tasks will give you a sense of relief instead of pushing them to the next day and so on.
- Stop the multitasking. You will get a lot more done by focusing on one task to completion. Checking your Facebook and phone while working on a task is also multitasking so put those aside.
- Diffuse some essential oils. Aromatherapy affects our mood and relaxes our muscles. Relaxed body, relaxed mind. My go-to oil for stress (when I don’t want to fall asleep) is Peppermint. You can also diffuse orange or lemon to lift your mood and give you energy. I give free weekly lessons over in my Essential Oil Facebook group if you’re interested in learning more.
- Stick to a daily practice. Whatever this looks like to you, make it your time to re-connect with yourself and do something that is your personal stress management routine. For me it may be a short yoga practice, journaling or picking a practice from the Yoga Goddess Membership site. Your practice doesn’t have to look like mine or longer than 5 minutes. Make it uniquely special to you and have it work with your schedule.
Try some of these out and let me know in the comments how you felt!